Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Post # 9

Morgan Bayda's post called "An Open Letter To Educators" was a new view that I have not yet come across concerning my education in college. She includes a video made by Dan Brown that supports her opinions in her post. The video is of this young man who has dropped out of college because he felt that his schooling was interfering with his education. He explained how college today is not the best way for people to be educated because of some ways the classes are taught. I agree with this because I have been in my fair share of classes that I have learned nothing. He explains how education was not always available to everyone and that only the highly privileged were allowed to have access to much of the world's information. He continues with telling how times have changed and now anyone can have access to any information just as long as they can pay for it. It is strange to think how we have to pay so much just to know more than those who aren't able to attend college. I do agree with Dan Brown because he knows how people aren't getting educated properly with the way some classes are run. I agree with him in all of his points except one. I will not drop out of college because right now this is the best way for me to get educated for my degree. Yes, I have been in those huge classes that don't get individual attention from the professor, have to do countless amounts of irrelevant work, and don't ever get what they need to out of the class itself. I have been to a good few of those classes. I am not in any of those classes now though. I am further along in my college career now and I am getting the education that I need. I stuck in there for those horrible classes and now I am in classes where the teachers know me, I am doing work that will help me in the future, and I am retaining the knowledge that I am taught in class. Yes college gives a bad education experience from some, but I am where I am suppose to be and my knowledge is growing. Morgan speaks about her computer class and how she uses everything that she learned in that class. I agree with her about the computer class, because I am learning so much in this class and will definitely be keeping this knowledge with me throughout my life. She lists the different uses that she has been taught in her class and that she continues to use them. I also would like to help in a low budget form when I get out of college. I want to join the Peace Corps after I graduate so that I can take two years before I start work to help others overseas.

2 comments:

  1. The Peace Corps! Great!

    My "canned" comment for this post:

    I decided that we all need a slight bit of a "holiday" for the 4th. So you got to skip C4C Number 9; my associates got to skip comments on your post due 7/5 (Bayda, ALEX AND ACCESS); and I am doing this "group" comment for everyone who posted on time or by the "corrected” date (tonight at midnight) which means that if you get this message you were recorded as having submitted your post on time. I thought that your posts on Morgan Bayda's blog were good. Some were especially interesting and generated a personal email from me.

    We are moving into the final two weeks of the term. Only one more full week exists before the week in which your final project is due. It should be a significant project that demonstrates many of the tools you have learned to use and skills you have acquired in EDM310. It must be collaborative. If you have any questions about this project we should discuss them in lab tomorrow (Thursday July 8, 2010). There are only 12 days left in which to complete your final projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel!
    I completely agree with this post. I think we have all fallen victim to the long boring lecture classes with very little success or results. I have too learned a lot in the computer class. Great post!

    ReplyDelete