Thursday, July 1, 2010

Post # 8

"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung was a really great read for beginner elementary school teachers. I wont be teaching for another couple of years and I still find it enlightening. He writes about 'How to read a crowd' and that being flexible is important. The quote, "When things go wrong, simply work with it and try to better the situation"is a positive line for beginner teachers. Communication and being reasonable are also two important factors of teaching, according to Mr. McClung. He says that the best way to resolve any work place issue is through communication. Also he says that we can forget that we are dealing with children and that we should encourage them to try again when they don't meet our expectations. I find that to be an amazing tip considering that we can get so frustrated with children. He writes that we shouldn't be afraid of technology. I know that I am not, but I still find his section on that helpful. The 'Listen to your Students' section talks about taking interest in the lives of your students because it means so much to them. And finally, Mr. McClung tells us to never stop learning. I totally agree with this piece of advice because I believe that we never do stop learning our entire lives.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Rachel! I thought Mr. McClung's blog was really helpful too! You said that your favorite tip from his was the one about encouraging children to try again when they don't meet our expectations. I think its good to remind ourselves of that. Patience is a good thing to have when you're dealing with children.

    Your comment about the fact that you aren't afraid of technology but still found that section helpful made me think that Mr. McClung's post is really helpful for new teachers but I bet its a great post for more experienced teachers as well. Just so that they can remind themselves of what was important when they first began teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    This is one of the foundations of being a great teacher ... being positive! Your statement ...encourage them to try again when they don't meet our expectations ... is spot on. We have to continue to build up students even in the face of disappointment and encourage them to get up and try again with our help. This will make them better learners and better people.

    ReplyDelete