Thursday, June 24, 2010

Post #7

Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture"



In Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture", I became very aware after the first two minutes that this hour long video would NOT be a drag. The instant he explained about his condition with cancer, it was like he created an immediate bond with his audience and any viewer of his video. He used humor in his talk which I love because it always keeps attention. He spoke of his childhood and explained some childhood dreams of his. In his talk, he explained how to keep your childhood dreams. He also explains how we have to play the cards that we are dealt and talks about how his condition is inevitable but will not bring him down. Its amazing to me that with 5 months to live, he was so happy and in the best of health and seeing him like this is so inspiring.
Throughout this video, I actually wrote down a few quotes that the mentioned. These quotes made me stop and think about their meaning and I realized that they implied to me as well. One quote was, "Brick walls are there for a reason - they let us prove how badly we want things". Now that is a great quote for a classroom because everyone hits a brick wall every once and a while. It encourages us to keep looking up and to work harder. Another quote is, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". This is for those childhood dreams that you didn't exactly achieve but got just as much experience from working for it. I like the one, "Wait long enough and people will surprise and impress you", that is quoted from Jon Snoddy.
He talks about so many lessons and ways to live life, work with others, and succeed. One topic that he explains is, 'Never lose childlike wonder', because it drives you to what you really want. He advocated heavily on helping others. I believe this too because you never know when you might need that extra hand with something someday from a person that you have helped before. He believes in karma and so do I. I strongly believe in karma and was brought up on it so when he talks about helping others, doing good for others, thinking about others, I understand what he means because it really pays off in the end. He says to 'Never give up', which is another very strong piece of advice. If you are a teacher, leading your students to success, you want to push them with this saying so that they don't have the option to give up.
I absolutely love this video and plan on sharing it with family members that are going through rough times and have been striving for their childhood dreams. His presentation gives advice to so many age groups and personalities. He is an inspiration to all students because every student is striving for a goal no matter what it is. I will use some of his quotes as inspiration and I will remember this video for future reference either in the classroom or with friends or family. His enthusiasm on life and helping others as a way to reaching goals is a great leaning tool for generations to come. I honestly dreaded watching this video when I saw that it was over an hour long, but believed that directions when they said, "it is well worth the time", and I am so glad that I did.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I have not watched the video yet but your post is great! I have had a really horrible time since December. I had a cyst removed from my foot and was suppose to walk 4 days later. I did not walk for 3 1/2 months. I developed RSD which is Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. I could not even let a sheet touch my foot. I had to keep my foot elevated at all times of it would turn black. It was so painful. I had to have nerve block every Friday either in my lumbar spine or in my ankle and sometimes both. I had to have another surgery in March of this year hoping this would help me walk again. They cut my abdomen open to get to my sympathetic nerve which is in your spine. I walked the next day! The surgery went well but it has had complications as well. Now it has messed my back up. I can't sit for very long. I'm always in pain. This pain is worse than the RSD pain ever was. I can relate to people when they say they want to give up but the only thing that makes me keep going is my faith and God.I know I will find the right doctor to fix my problem but I can promise you this it won't be in Alabama!! I can't wait to watch the video! I enjoyed reading your post and you have made me anxious to watch the video no matter how long it is because it will help me also since I'm having health issues as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christi,

    I am so glad you shared your story with us. It really helps me put life challenges in perspective when I find out that real people, people that I know are triumphing over setbacks as well. Like Rachel said, the movie is certainly well worth your time. I too shared it with most of my family because I believe it to carry such valuable lessons. I will be praying for you, and I certainly hope you will have a complete recovery story to share with us soon.

    Rachel,

    Your mindset in writing this post is well directed. I am glad you are relating what you are watching to past experiences as a student, and future experiences as a teacher. Congratulations on getting caught up!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know what reactions your family have to the Last Lecture! It is an amazing lecture, karma and all!

    ReplyDelete