Saturday, June 5, 2010

Post # 1

"Did you know? 3.0" definitely makes you think a little harder than before. The way the video shows the advancement of our world with technology honestly kind of scared me a little. I did realize how advanced we were but I hadn't realized, until this video, how far advanced. I do believe that this advancement is a good thing. I am glad to have seen this video so that I have something to show me what I don't usually think about. It is most definitely a jaw dropper when you watch it!

I also think that this video is great for any age. Even though there may be some material too advanced for younger ages, it could be a great idea to introduce them to idea of our growing technology. It is definitely a great idea to show all adults of all ages this video to show how our lives are changing daily. I have actually seen this video from an email that my dad sent me from his office. He obviously thought that I, being a college student, needed to see it just as him and his collegues did. It is an important message for all. No one needs to avoid this video and continue living under a rock because everyone should be aware of our amazing advancement in technology.



"Mr Winkle Wakes" is a cute video that made me realize the fact that we are so advanced in many other ways that we live. It also showed me that one of the main parts of my entire life has not changed much in the past century. This means that is has been the exact same, minus the grade changes and advancements with computers, since I entered Kindergarten. I have never thought that school just wasn't at the same level of advancement as our offices, businesses, and hospitals. Even though this video is a lot shorter than "Did you know? 3.0", it packs a very big message. I dont see a problem with our schools not being as advanced as other industries. America's schools have done just fine staying the way they have been over history.

This is a great video to show to the younger audiences. Not only is it a cartoon, but the message isn't too diffecult to understand. This could show younger audiences in places such as elementary schools just how far we have come with technology. We should show the children that life wasn't always like how they have already grown up in. The message about the schools being the same could portray a difference in the ways that we live because nothing really is needed to change in schools other than the material. But with businesses and hospitals, we update so frequently so that we can better in those areas of living.



Ken Robinson made many brilliant points throughout his talk. I am so glad that this man was humorous. He made his points and also caused the audience to listen even more intently while they laughed over and over again. I enjoyed this video a lot and am glad that I watched the whole thing. I can't agree with Robinson more with the idea that creativity is extremely vital. He said, "Creativity now is as important in education as literacy and we should treat it with the same status." This is an incredible statement and I have memorized this so that I cant share it through my future in education.

I see myself as a creative individual. I grew up more drawn to art and music than math and science. I also grew up with many others better than me in the math and science areas and it made me feel inadequate. Now that I am in college, I have grown to learn that I am just as amazing as every other student because I have talents in areas that suit the person that I am. I didn't have many teachers in middle school and high school that would show me my individualism that I should have had. This video is a perfect talk about how important a child needs to be creative and how they need to continue to have their creativity throughout their lives.



The class that Vicki Davis teaches looks like a lot of fun! They get to teach each other through a program with avatars. I like how this class is teaching students new things and different ways to use the computer. It is expanding the use of technology in education which is vital to keep up with the rest of the world and their involvement with technology. She also states that it is a better form of teaching than teaching with just paper and I agree. It gives kids more room to grow with their knowledge through technology.

In the video, the kids just looked like they were into the learning. They didn't look bored or were looking off into space. If I were teaching a class like this, I would definitely take some tips from Vicki Davis with the programs she uses and ways she teaches. I think that EDM 310 is a lot like the class in the video. I know that we will be learning about programs and tools that we did not know existed. I also know that this class will be a lot like Vicki Davis' class in Georgia!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    Your enthusiasm booms across the page. It is GREAT!

    One thing I would like you to review is the Winkle Wakes video. When you watch it this time, think about it satirically. It is nice to see opposing viewpoints because it challenges mainstream ideas. However, I think Winkle Wakes was trying to convey something a lot different than what you took from it.

    Your creative strengths are at a forefront in regards to your blog layout. I need to take a page out of your book and add a little flare to my own page.

    Way to stay on top of things!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete